Thursday, November 22, 2012

11 Year Old Savannah, Making Life Better For Our Soldiers

Savannah Maddison
Savannah's Soldiers
By Doug Mills
RCN America Network
I would like to introduce you to an amazing girl who is pursuing her dreams and changing the world!
Savannah Maddison is an 11 year old Florida girl who is making a difference in this world.  Savannah tells us how she got started,
"I have a few very close friends. (The kind that you can tell anything to.) Wilson is one of them. She and I are very close. Her dad is a Lieutenant Colonel in the United States Army. He deployed to Afghanistan in January and will be gone for one year. It is a really tough thing for my friend and her family to deal with. She had to relocate to Atlanta to be closer to family so that her mom will have help when her dad is away. I miss her so much already! Her leaving was a sad day. They also have to work out life in general without their dad for an entire year.


I thought that to help us deal with this HUGE change I would write a song that talks about her dad leaving but from my point of view. Especially since I love to write music. It was meant to be just between us but then… I really liked the song. I began to realize that there are so many kids effected by deployment. This song is that I wrote for Wilson has really become about every kid who is dealing with this very same thing. The song was great but I felt like I could do even more. I thought it would be even better if we could adopt the Soldiers (all 700 of them) that are currently deployed with Wilson’s dad. This is where Savannah’s Soldiers began. The very cool thing is that it is growing like wildfire and now includes multiple Army Battalions and a Naval unit. We now send encouragement to 1000+ men and women stationed in Afghanistan.

Savanah and Wilson
Savannah’s Soldiers is a letter writing campaign. We collect letters from kids across America and send them to these brave men and woman all year long until they all come home. We work closely with schools and organizations like the Miami Marlins to collect letters. To really reach out to all of our Soldiers and Sailors I need your help. We have to work together. If  you will send me a letter via e-mail I will make sure that a Soldier deployed in Afghanistan receives it. If you see Savannah’s Soldiers set up at a public event please stop and write a letter. If you attend a school or are part of an organization that would be interested in joining our campaign please contact us by using the contact link. I want for each soldier to hear from us back in the states often.


Savannah Maddison Meets Gov. Rick Scott
Freedom is something that we do not think about often as kids living in the United States but I have come to know that there are many men and women who leave their families behind to allow us the freedoms that we enjoy here. We need to support our troops even if just with a letter. We need to let them know that we support them and are thankful for their service to our wonderful country.

If your mom or dad has been deployed, I would love to hear your story and possibly share it on my website for others to read and connect with. Will you help me? I’m waiting to hear from you and looking forward to your letters and stories!"

For more information on this extraordinary girl you can visit her web site at:http://savannahmaddison.com


You can also view her latest videos and music on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/savannahmaddison?feature=results_main

No comments:

Post a Comment