Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Musician Spotlight: UK Singer/Songwriter Lex Rose

In the UK there is a talented young 17 year old Singer/Songwriter from Reading, UK. This 17 year old talented Singer/Songwriter is Lex Rose whose style of singing is Country.

"It’s no secret that country music isn't huge in Europe unless you’re a superstar named Taylor Swift. So, how different would an English accent sound singing country music? It actually turns out quite good." - Keepin' It Country Blog

Lex Rose is a 17 year old country singer and songwriter from the Deep South...of England. Combining straight up country with elements of other genres (pop, rock, bluegrass, soul, gospel...), she has been compared to artists ranging from Gabrielle Aplin to Sheryl Crow to Jewel. Other favourite artists include Miranda Lambert, The Band Perry, Tom Petty and The Henningsens.

Lex has played variety of gigs, ranging from festivals such as Basingstoke Live, to smaller shows at more intimate venues like VITA Café Bar in Fleet and Rising Sun Arts Centre in Reading. She has lent her time to various fundraisers for charities including St Michael's Hospice and Macmillan Cancer Support.


Recently we had the great opportunity to interview Lex Rosenthal on her music career, here are her answers to our questions.

Lex, when did you start singing?
I have been singing since I was a kid, in school choirs and around my home, here in Basingstoke, England. I didn't start singing solo until I was 15, probably in late winter 2010/early spring 2011.

Was it your dream to be a singer?
Actually, it was always my dream to be a writer. I always wanted to write books as a kid... I guess that translated itself into songwriting. The whole performing thing came later.

Tell us about your style of singing?
I sing country music. I couldn't really say it's just straight up country, as I'm definitely influenced by other genres - classic rock, Southern Rock, soul, bluegrass, pop. I think it all comes out in my music and hopefully I don't sound quite like anyone else out there. It's also a bit different as there are not a lot of country artists from this corner of the world!

Are there challenges pursuing a singing career?
Naturally; if there weren't challenges, everyone would be a singer. I'd say that the hardest issues are belief in yourself and having others believe in you. There are days when you just think that this whole dream is impossible to achieve, but something always happens to show you you're not just crazy. When you love the music this much, you're going to keep going.

Does your parents and friends support you?
Absolutely, yes. My parents are very practical and realistic, so they keep me grounded. My dad is the one to come to all my shows and point out what was good, what I can do better, which is great as I'd rather have him give constructive criticism than have him tell me I'm perfect.

Do you write your own songs?
Yes! That's what I do, what I put my life into. I like performing cover songs, but writing and singing my own material is what I really love. I write them all by myself, though I hope one day I can go to Nashville and write with some of the incredible people out there.

If so, tell us what goes into writing a great song?
There really is no magic formula. Personally, I need a great hook, or a great title. I tend to get hit hard by inspiration and just write the song. I have to write things down or I'll forget, and a lot of the time, bits and pieces of lyrics just linger on paper or my phone for weeks or months before I can put them into songs And re-write! That's important. You're never going to get a perfect song on the first draft.

Where was your first performance, were you excited?
My first solo performance was in July 2011, at my secondary school, The Costello School. We had auditions for an end of year talent show, so I turned up and sang The House That Built Me, by Miranda Lambert. I was pretty nervous, but once I'd finished, the drama teachers (who were auditioning everyone) straight away said "Wow. Do you take music?! Well, you should!". That was the song I sang on the night, which was very fun.

Where have you been able to perform?
I have played a lot of places in the past year; I've done sets at bars, pubs, and arts centres, played open mics and talent shows, and some festivals and fundraisers too.

Who inspires you with your singing and songwriting?
The Henningsens are my biggest writing inspiration! They're a family band from Illinois - Brian, the dad, Aaron, the eldest son, and Clara one of the daughters (there's 10 kids in the family!). They are releasing their debut single "American Beautiful" on December 17th, on Arista Nashville, and I think they are incredible. Their writing is so fresh and original - they wrote The Band Perry's You Lie and All Your Life - and they are also such genuinely kind people. I also adore The Band Perry; If I Die Young is one of my most favourite songs ever. Tom Petty's music also inspires me a lot, as does Miranda Lambert's (I am so in love with her voice and lyrics). I really like Makayla Lynn too. She's only 11, but has such a great sense of melody and her lyrics are so touching.

If you could perform anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
I always thought LP Field would be kind of awesome... CMA Fest is one of my dreams!

Along the same line, who would you love to perform with?
The Henningsens, The Band Perry, Kellie Pickler. Mallary Hope seems like she would be so much fun to perform with.

What are some of your goals for your Music?
I'd love to get cuts on the albums of some big names one day. I think it would be incredible to hear my songs on country radio too!

What do you hope to accomplish with your singing/songwriting?
If I can touch at least one person's heart with my music, I'll know I've done something right. I don't need awards or anything to validate me, I just want to give people music that will help them, make them feel good.

Lex, do you have any advice for those wanting to start a career in singing and songwriting?
Play open mics. Hand out business cards to everyone and anyone! Research for local live music venues and promoters. Be polite and gracious at all times. Just put yourself out there and be different. If you're a Taylor Swift fan (as I am), for example, don't just imitate her - learn from her and be influenced by her.

Is there anything else you want our readers to know about you, your singing/songwriting?
Give me a chance, listen to me. I'm really not that complicated. I'm just a girl who lives and breathes writing songs. If you love me, I most definitely love you more!

We hope you all check out this talented 17 year old Singer/Songwriter by the name of Lex Rose official site. Lex's sites are:

http://www.youtube.com/lexmusicofficial
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexrose
http://www.twitter.com/lexrosenthal
http://www.facebook.com/LexRosenthal



Rocky Coast News is pleased to have Lex Rose featured as our latest "Musician Spotlight", where we highlight, promote up and coming musicians that have amazing vocals, sound, style and/or who are able to play an instrument well singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment