Monday, November 26, 2012

Musician Spotlight: Kaleigh Jo Kirk Singer & Songwriter



Cochrane, Alberta Canada - In Canada there is a talented 15 year old Singer and Songwriter who has great vocal. This talented Singer and Songwriter is Kaleigh Jo Kirk who plays Guitar, Piano, Percussion, Drums, Flute. Kaleigh loves Musical theatre, acting.

The immense musical talent of Kaleigh Jo Kirk was displayed at her 1st public singing appearance, at age 7. Since then, the 15 yr old has won faithful fans by performing at venues ranging from La Boheme (Hollywood), The Vault (Orange, California) to The Calgary Stampede (World’s biggest outdoor show) & the star-studded Big Valley Jamboree (Camrose, AB.) Since the age of 5yrs old, Kaleigh Jo has worked diligently learning voice, piano, guitar, acting, stage performance, dancing, musical theatre & song writing. She also plays drums/percussion in school band. Kaleigh Jo’s experience in songwriting & recording is showcased on her official debut CD, “Keep On Climbing”, released June ’10. Her 1st demo CD with producer Nancy Nash ’08 included a co-write “Kaleigh Jo Kirkin’Around,” a fun tune about celebrating who you are. During 2009, Kaleigh Jo wrote the lyrics/melody for 3 songs, “My Smile” “Beautiful” & “Cry” & recorded them, with powerhouse production/mixing team Deborah Gibson, Gavin Mackillop, & Rudy Haeusermann. All 3 songs are on “Keep On Climbing”. July ’09, Kaleigh Jo & Grammy winning producer Alex Cantrall & Jeff Hoeppner of “Radio Nation” co-wrote/recorded “Shine”, A pop song on the new CD. Nov’09, Kaleigh Jo & producer, Mike Puskas recorded some of material on the new CD, “Keep On Climbing”. Kaleigh Jo recorded 2 songs in French (she’s fluent) with producer/writer Gerry Stober Dec’09. “Plus Fort Que Tout” & “Ne T’en Veux Pas, 

released June ’10. She takes pride in her skill as a songwriter & contributed 5 songs she co-wrote for her new CD, including the inspirational title track “Keep On Climbing”. Her pure & strong voice shines on both haunting ballads like “Dream” & “Stronger Now” to such upbeat pop-rock tunes as “Shine” & “Keep On Climbing.” She is committed to send a positive message with her music, helping kids fit in & feel good about themselves. Dec. '11 Kaleigh Jo had her first professional role as "Fan" in Theatre Calgary's A Christmas Carol. She recently played a lead role in "Legally Blonde" March 2012. She just completed the 10-week program at “The BiZ School of Music in “LA” March 2012 & completed her RCM Vocal 6 with high honors June ‘12. She has just finished working in the studio co-writing & recording her 3 new Country/Pop originals “Everyday” Boy Next Door” & “Alone In The Crowd” in LA with producers Alex Cantrall & Jeff Hoeppner! Kaleigh Jo is the 1st place winner of Season #4 U17 category of “Edmonton Undiscovered Show” September 2012. She recorded 5 Classic Rock Songs & 1 Country Song in LA as part of the “Teen Collaboration Band” with producer George Rindfleisch. Kaleigh Jo Kirk is also proud to have the role of “Calgary 2012 Cultural Ambassador” as Calgary celebrates its designation of “Cultural Capital of Canada”. Her music can be purchased on iTunes, CDbaby, & at www.kaleighjokirk.com.Kaleigh Jo Kirk’s  music is available on iTunes & CDBaby & can be heard on several internet radio stations and 2RDJ-FM & Triple H FM 100.1 in Sydney, Australia, Raterbug, Outbound Sound,  Reverbnation, Jango Airplay, Girls Rock Radio & Tweenpopradio.com

We recently had the opportunity to interview this young 15 year old Singer and Songwriter. Here are her answers to our questions.


When did you start singing?
I've been singing ever since I could make noise! I had my first solo at a school concert in grade 3 & participated in music recitals outside of school, but my first real public singing experience was when I was 7yrs old.

Was it your dream to be a singer?
Yes, I've always wanted to be a singer and entertainer as long as I can remember!

Tell us about your style of singing?
I sing Country/Pop which has the story of the song with a pop edge. I've also teamed up this year with a manager/producer who manages a "Teen Collaboration Band" that covers '80's Rock.
Most of the Teens are out of California (I'm from Canada) & so far I have fronted 5 of their songs & working on a 6th. The idea of the collaboration is to give Teens the chance & experience to work & record together without leaving their primary band or genre.

Are there challenges pursuing a singing career?
Yes many, one is juggling school & music. So far I've managed to be on the honour role every year which is important to me, I do a lot of homework while travelling. Another challenge is making choices, sometimes I have to choose between competing events like performing at a show or going to a friends birthday party. Just recently I had to miss playing a role in a professional production of "A Christmas Carol" because my sister is having a destination wedding. Another is wanting to self promote & be proud of my singing accomplishments & still fit in normally with my friends.
Does your parents and friends support you?
Yes, My friends, parents, school and relatives support & motivate me so much by coming out and watching my performances & cheering me on. I also have a growing number of loyal fans, some who have been following me for 6 yrs. My mom is my manager (momager) and is a huge help with everything & my dad is kinda like my roadie/photographer/videographer etc.  lol!

Do you write your own songs?
Yes I do, I co-wrote & recorded my first song when I was 9yrs old & wrote & recorded three songs when I was 10. So far I have written & recorded 10 songs, but I have a lot of unpublished written songs.

If so, tell us what goes into writing a great song?
I find the best songs come from my own personal experiences. For example, when I was in grade 5 I started at a new school & one of the girls was really bulling me. The school handled the issue well and the way I coped with it was by writing one of my first songs "My Smile" & then "Beautiful" about a new girl in school.

Where was your first performance, were you excited?
My first real public performance was when I was 7yrs old at my cousins wedding. I sang "Love Can Build A Bridge" acapella as a surprise gift. I practiced at my best friend's house so even my parents didn't know about it. I was so nervous & excited, but I just went up, started singing & the nerves went away & the excitement stayed.  This was when we realized I had the special gift of being able to sing.

Where have you been able to perform?
I've been so fortunate to have performed at the La Boheme in Hollywood, The Vault in Orange, California, Several times at the Calgary Stampede events which is the biggest outdoor show on earth & 4 yrs at The Big Valley Jamboree which headlines entertainers like Keith Urban, Tim Mcgraw. I auditioned for Edmonton Undiscovered where I place 1st in the U17 division. I've performed at several hockey games,  schools, & festivals singing the National Anthem, & several other festivals & weddings in & around where I live.
Who inspires you with your singing and songwriting?
Carrie Underwood & Taylor Swift are great inspirations. I love Carrie cause she has an awesome voice & Taylor is such an awesome songwriter.

If you could perform anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
I would love to perform in my hometown's Saddledome, I just went to a Carrie Underwood's concert there & she sold out the stadium.

Along the same line, who would you love to perform with?
I would love to perform on stage or open for Hunter Hayes (I did a small duet with him at a meet & greet) , Carrie Underwood and/or Taylor Swift

What are some of your goals for your Music?
I would love to be able to share my songs with the world, I want to always be improving on my vocals,  the guitar, piano, & drums/percussion. I want to continue working on my certifications at  the Royal Conservatory of Music. I'm also looking at forming a band as the venues I perform at continue to get larger.  I would also like to learn more about how to use recording equipment & the computer  programs.

What do you hope to accomplish with your singing/songwriting?
I am working on writing & recording new songs & hope release  a new Country/Pop album. Also I hope to reach out & share my music with more people by touring & having amazing magazines like "Rocky Coast News" feature me. I also, have my sights set on attending a music performing arts university or college like "Julliard".
Do you have any advice for those wanting to start a career in singing and songwriting?
Yes, you have to persevere and always stay hard working, believe in yourself & remain humble. Be grateful & never forget anyone who helped you along the way. It's especially important to keep in touch with your fans & give back! I volunteer & donate at the Children's Hospital, Seniors Centers, & other community events. It's important to continually learn, take lessons & grow.

Is there anything else you want our readers to know about you, your singing/songwriting?
I love singing  & songwriting & believe in collaborating with other artists. I also have songs up on iTunes. I'm fluent in french & have 2 french songs up on iTunes as well. I'm also working on Spanish and I have  some songs can in Italian, Japanese and German. Our "Teen Collaboration Band" has 10 songs up on CDBaby (5 of them I fronted)

Do you have any other talents?
I play the drum kit & other percussion instruments in our high school band & I also play the guitar & piano. I love performing in musical theatre professionally or in school. I love drawing, styling & fashion, volleyball & swimming.

Kaleigh is one of the latest Singer and Songwriter that has a very bright future in the music industry. If you want to learn more about Kaleigh, you can check out her official site listed out below.

Official Website: http://www.kaleighjokirk.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kaleighjokirk
Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaleighjokirk
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/cmkirk1
ReverbNation: www.reverbnation.com/kaleighjokirk

Rocky Coast News is pleased to have Kaleigh Jo Kirk featured as our latest "Musician Spotlight", where we highlight, promote up and coming musicians that have amazing vocals, sound, style and/or who are able to play an instrument well singing.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great article spotlighting Kaleigh Jo Kirk, my favorite singer/songwriter for several years. Kaleigh Jo is well known in her native Canada and I am so happy to see New Hampshire and Vermont have taken notice and spreading the word in America. I'm from Virginia and have long since adopted Kaleigh Jo Kirk as my Internet granddaughter and I have supported Kaleigh Jo working through her mother Chandra Kirk for a great long while. I wish I could do more but articles like this go a long way to boost a young singer into the limelight. Thank you for all you do!-Jimmy Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this great article on Kaleigh Jo. You've certainly captured the true essence of her multi-talented persona. It is nice to see her get this kind of exposure on the eastern side of the USA. I've been aware of her music and talents for several years now starting with discovering her on MySpace some time ago. I gave a copy of her CD to a local DeeJay here in Connecticut and cuts off her Keep on Climbing CD are played from time to time. I'm sure Kaleigh Jo is a star on the rise and your article should give her a little more well-deserved recognition. Thanks again, Bill Johnson

    ReplyDelete