Monday, October 15, 2012

Musician Spotlight: Singer/Songwriter Emily Metz of Wisconsin



In Wisconsin there is a 15 year old Singer/Songwriter by the name of Emily Metz whose style is Country/Pop and plays the guitar. We want share our recent interview with this young 15 year old Singer/Songwriter following her dreams.

When did you start singing?
I've really been singing my whole life. The earliest I can remember is maybe about 4 years old? I know when I was four, my dad videotaped me singing and "playing" his guitar to "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" to my family. Singing's something I've been doing forever.

Was it your dream to be a singer?
It is my dream to be a singer, and also to be an actress. I'm currently working on new songs, a submission for two music contests, and I'm sending out acting headshots and resumes.

Tell us about your style of singing? 
I can really do anything from country to pop. I'm not a fan of rap or hip hop, but I can do country, country/pop, or just plain pop. I like country music, because it gives you that homey feel, and it can really speak to you. I love pop, too, because it's so upbeat and fun!

Are there challenges pursuing a singing career?
Well, getting myself out there is definitely a challenge. I love to perform, but there aren't a lot of opportunities where I live. I usually just sing at a talent show once a year. Also, getting a lot of YouTube views is tough, too, because there are so many other musicians on YouTube who have the same goal.

Does your parents and friends support you?
My parents and friends support me a lot. I always keep them up-to-date on how my music's going, showing them my songs and everything. They're always excited when I find a cool opportunity, and they're always there to cheer me on.

Do you write your own songs?
I do write my own songs. I don't have many out on YouTube or iTunes yet, but I definitely have notebooks full of songs I'm still working on.

If so, tell us what goes into writing a great song?
I think you really have to put what you feel. You can't just fill in an empty part of a song with a random phrase that rhymes--you have to write your feelings. Also, some people are like "Write a song!" like, at that very moment, but it's harder than you think! I usually can't just sit down and write a song, right then and there. I have to have something come to my mind first. Sometimes I get ideas in the middle of class at school, sometimes in the middle of the night. I just write down the words, and sound record it on my iPod, so I won't forget it.

Where was your first performance, were you excited?
My first performance was at my 5th grade school talent show. No one, except my family knew I could sing and play guitar. But I got up on that stage and sang "Our Song" by Taylor Swift (the first song I ever learned to play). Afterwards, I couldn't describe how I felt. I had just shown a whole school full of people what I could do. The cheering and clapping and whistling at the end made me realize that being on stage is something I want to do as often as possible. Now, I'm comfortable with being on stage, and I try to never miss an opportunity!

Where have you been able to perform?
Multiple school talent shows (7 total performances, I think), and I also sang at the 400 Block, downtown in Wausau, Wisconsin.

Who inspires you with your singing and songwriting?
My dad is a huge inspiration of mine. He sings, plays guitar, and writes songs, too, so I pretty much grew up in a musical environment. Taylor Swift is my biggest inspiration of all the musicians out there. She had the exact same dream as I do, and we went through a lot of the same things. She felt left out a lot in school, and no one wanted to be friends with her. I often feel invisible at school--like I have no one to turn to. So, I go home, and write songs, just like Taylor. Neither of us gave up, and I'm not going to until I live out my dream.

If you could perform anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
Nashville, Tennessee, because it's music city! I've always wanted to go there and see all the cool old record companies, and the Grand Ole Opry. I just think to be able to perform somewhere where music is important to everyone, would just be the perfect place.

Along the same line, who would you love to perform with?
I would definitely love to perform with Taylor Swift, but I also think it would be so cool to perform with Selena Gomez or Demi Lovato. They're all extremely talented.

What are some of your goals for your Music?
My ultimate goal is to sign a record deal. That would just be a dream come true. But for other dreams, I guess maybe winning an award, or performing somewhere amazing--Madison Square Garden? I would also love to reach my first 1 million views on YouTube.

What do you hope to accomplish with your singing/songwriting? 
I really hope that other people can listen to my music and relate to me. I write from my heart, and what I go through, and I know there are people out there who are going through the exact same thing. I just want people to know they're not alone, and when they listen to my music, they'll feel like someone understands.

Do you have any advice for those wanting to start a career in singing and songwriting?
Never EVER give up. Even if it seems like it'll never happen, don't ever give up, and don't let what other people say bring you down. You're in control of your dreams.

Is there anything else you want our readers to know about you, your singing/songwriting?
Not really, just that I'm hoping to enter two upcoming contests--the "Teen Hoot" contest, and the "Madd Talent Artist Contest". If you "like" my Facebook page, I'll keep you up-to-date on how I'm doing.

Do you have any other talents?
I love acting. Next month, I'm going to try out for a local musical. I'm also going to send in more headshots and resumes for movies and TV shows.

Emily's Official Sites
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/emilymetzofficial
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/emilym92097
Twitter https://twitter.com/msemilymetz



Rocky Coast News is pleased to have Emily Metz as our latest "Musician Spotlight", where we highlight, promote up and coming musicians that have amazing vocals, sound, style and/or who are able to play an instrument well singing.


No comments:

Post a Comment