Monday, October 22, 2012

Musician Spotlight: Megan Knight Singer/Songwriter of New Jersey


Williamstown, New Jersey - There is an amazing 13 year old Singer/Songwriter from New Jersey whose talent caught our attention. This 13 year old Singer/Songwriter is Megan Knight, who has a great singing voice and following her dreams.

Megan Knight is a high school freshman from Southern New Jersey. She has been performing as a solo acoustic singer/songwriter since September, 2011, at the age of 13. 

Megan is a self-taught acoustic guitar player that likes to dabble with piano, and percussion instruments.  She has been known to bring a kick drum to some of the local festivals that she has participated in, along with her guitar and wonderful singing ability, this young talent knows how to put on a show that captures all audiences.



She has accomplished so much since her debut at the local coffee shops, playing to 30-50 people.  Megan was a featured artist at the July 4th, WaWa Welcome America Party on the Parkway on the Radio Disney stage, in Philadelphia, PA.  She also has performed at World CafĂ© Live and many local venues and festivals within the tri-state area, including a featured artist spot light at the Woodbury Fall Arts Fest, which brought in 12,000-14,000 visitors. 

Knight’s musical talents have been compared to some big names in the industry but her voice and performance style is exclusively her own. Her vocal aptitude is a combination of her influences from Classic Rock, Alternative Rock, Pop, Punk and her voice shows a natural Country sound unique to her intonation. 

“I am looking to mix the rawness of my voice with my love for alternative, rock music to find my own sound, something that is genuine to who I am and who I want to be”.-Megan Knight

With the first anniversary as a solo artist in her rearview mirror, Megan is looking forward to the future, as she continues to write/record and perform her original music. 

The release of her first self-titled EP, Megan Knight, can be found on iTunes, CD Baby, Amazon, and Pick of the Ricks, which is one of her local sponsors.

Great opportunities are on the horizon for this young and passionate artist and Megan anticipates a strong presence in the music scene come 2013-2014.
Rocky Coast News founder David Mills had a chance to interview Miss. Megan Knight on her music and what she hopes to accomplish with her singing. Megan's answers are below. Thank you Megan for taken the time to answer our questions.

When did you start singing?
I've been singing ever since I could talk. I've always been in love with music. My parents literally played Dave Matthews to me while my mom was still pregnant with me. I used to be in love with Disney and Broadway when I was really young so I would go around the house singing “ I'm Singing in the Rain.”

Was it your dream to be a singer?
It hasn't become my dream until a few months ago. I never imagined my life to be the way it is now. When I was little it was my dream to be a teacher.

Tell us about your style of singing?
I think I blend elements/styles using pop, rock, alternative, and country music fundamentals.  It seems to bring a unique flavor to my singing and songwriting.

Are there challenges pursuing a singing career?
There definitely is! It’s so hard trying to get your name out there. You have to perform a lot and at various places because you don't want them to forget about you. I try to get in front of as many people as I can.

Does your parents and friends support you?
Oh my gosh, YES!!! I am sooo thankful for how much support they give me. Many people can’t say they have that and luckily, I do. I couldn't be more grateful. They have been with me every step of the way through this journey. It really means so much to me.. I wouldn't even be where I am now without them pushing me through low moments and getting me through absolutely everything.

Do you write your own songs?
Yes, I do.  I just released my first 3 song EP on September 27th!  You can purchase it on Itunes,  CDBaby,  Pick of the Ricks, and I am even on Spotify!

If so, tell us what goes into writing a great song?
I write at least 4 times a day and not even on purpose. I’ve tried to sit down and force myself to write and it never works. The best writing that comes from me is when I’m randomly inspired. My phone has about 200 recordings, and I have written on literally tons of paper filled with words of just inspiring moments in time.  . I have never sat down and wrote an entire song in one sitting. I usually write down a bunch of main ideas and write down things that come to mind. Usually one topic sticks out and I put that one idea together with all the other blurbs I wrote about it, then I start putting them all together. Eventually, after organizing, re-writing, etc. I have a song.

Where was your first performance, were you excited?
My first “performance” was at a coffee shop in Voorhees, New Jersey called Coffee Works. I actually wasn't excited at all. I really didn't want to do it. I had absolutely no confidence and kept wondering what the heck I was doing there. I only went because my parents wanted me to get over my stage fright, because I did plays and I was too afraid to try out for the bigger singing parts. By the end of that night, I realized how much fun it was and that I wanted to keep doing it. The first or second night I was there, they hired me for my first 2 hour show in November of 2011.  However, I only knew two songs.. so I had my work cut out for me.  I had to learn 35 songs in two months! Soon after starting doing the open mics I realized I wanted to stop theater and start focusing on music. So, I went to the open mic every week there, and every week I would debut one or two of the new cover songs I learned, leading up to my show in November.  Even after the November show and the gigs/shows that I did after that I still had no idea that I wanted to PURSUE music as a career until just a couple months ago. I realized that this is what I was meant to do.  I have only been doing this for a short amount of time, but I have many big opportunities that may be coming up for me by the end of 2012 and the Spring of 2013!

Where have you been able to perform?
I’ve played at TONS of places! I started at just playing at open mics in coffee houses and I kept getting hired every time I got off the stage. In the music business, I quickly realized everything branches off of everything. As I played at one place to another the venues got bigger and better every time. I’ve placed in front of crowds of like five to hundreds, I love it either way. Of course, I love playing in front of the bigger audiences, but I still love taking every chance I can get to play in front of people.


Who inspires you with your singing and songwriting?
Anything can inspire me. It just depends where I am in my life at the moment in time. I realized no matter how amazing my life is.. I always tend to write darker music though. It’s my style, just the way it comes out. I have a great life but, in my songs, you wouldn't think that I have a great life! I always write a lot of contradicting things. “ I've been wasting all my time trying to find out all the reasons why, how is this possible that I can even have you.” “ I'm so addicted it’s like a drug I’d sacrifice my life for you.” “Who are you to say what you are to me?” These lyrics are from my song In Case You Cared. It’s like saying I want you, but I don’t. You can have me, but you can’t. Who are you to say you're in love with me? I write like I’m a very lost soul. This is somewhat true though because in your teenage years, this is when you're figuring out who you are as a person and finding your way through life. I love writing like this, it’s real, and it’s relatable. But, I also have a lot of other ways of writing too.

If you could perform anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
Madison Square Garden! I honestly don't really know why, but it was where I had my heart set on when I started this journey. It’s like, once you played there, you know you made it. I think that could be the best, most unbelievable, feeling a musician could experience. I really hope that one day, I could aspire this.

Along the same line, who would you love to perform with?
I would LOVE to perform with the Foo Fighters or an acoustic set with Dave Grohl! I've loved them forever. I saw them in concert once and it was amazing! They definitely know how to put on a show. They went for three hours straight, that’s what I call a show.


What are some of your goals for your Music?
To get my music played on the radio, to have someone cover it and just to have as many people as I can, listen to it. I never ask for someone to like anything at all, I just ask people to give it a chance. How would you know unless you give it a try? And that’s how I walk through life… I always think before I do anything “when you look back, are you going to regret this?”

What do you hope to accomplish with your singing/songwriting?
I hope to accomplish anything and everything I possibly can. I’m going to strive to be the best I can be.  It would be pretty cool to inspire other kids to start playing music, singing and reaching for their goals.. if I can do it!  You can do it!

Do you have any advice for those wanting to start a career in singing and songwriting?
No matter how much you want to give up at times, don’t. If you have to step away for a day or two do it. This worked for me. I felt like I was going through music withdrawal, haha.  Just never give up on what you love. Also, make sure you love what you're doing. You're wasting your time if you don’t.

Is there anything else you want our readers to know about you, your singing/songwriting?
You can connect with me via my website, http://www.meganknightmusic.com/ to see what I am up to and also link out to my social sites https://www.facebook.com/pages/Megan-Knight-Music/223561517702315 ,http://www.youtube.com/user/meganknightmusic , and http://twitter.com/meganknight20
You can also purchase my music on iTunes, CD Baby, Amazon and Pick of the Ricks (free shipping for hardcopy) websites. I hope you check it out! 

Miss. Knight is one of the amazing young Musicians out there following her dreams of being a Singer/Songwriter. We hope you check this young Singer and Songwriter out by going to her official website above or Facebook page.


Rocky Coast News is pleased to have Megan Knight as our latest "Musician Spotlight", where we highlight, promote up and coming musicians that have amazing vocals, sound, style and/or who are able to play an instrument well singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment