Friday, October 5, 2012

Musician Spotlight: Rising Singer/Songwriter Payton Taylor


Today, we bring you an all new Musician Spotlight featuring a talented, young, Singer from Nashville, Tennessee. The Singer is 15 year old Payton Taylor, who is an inspiring Country Singer.

 In the summer of 2012, Payton Taylor performed at several of the country's largest music festivals, such as Summerfest in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and the CMA (Country Music Association) Music Festival in Nashville, Tennessee. She has released her debut CD, entitled "Shine" and has opened for major artists, such as Casey James, Chuck Wicks, Collin Raye, Lorrie Morgan, Pam Tillis, and the legendary Charlie Daniels Band. But, despite these milestones in her career, the Southern New Jersey native still remembers singing since she was barely able to speak. Never one to shy away from a stage, Payton jumped at any opportunity to perform; church events, school plays, local festivals, and anywhere else that would let her get up and sing, all witnessed this tenacious little girl’s love of performing. But it wasn't until the summer of 2009 that the then 12-year-old Payton discovered her true passion for singing – Country Music.

During a trip to Nashville, Tennessee in August 2009, Payton was invited to jump on stage at a local music venue and perform a couple of songs. “That’s when I knew I wanted to sing Country Music for the rest of my life,” says Taylor, “During that trip, I fell in love with Nashville – it’s music, history, and its culture.” Now, only three years later, Payton is making her mark in the industry with her energetic stage performances and her catchy songwriting, and creating a genuine buzz that is making fans stand up and take notice. She was a finalist for the 2011 Texaco Country Showdown, and has been gaining national attention through multiple TV appearances, newspaper and magazine interviews, and a strong social media presence through sites like Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

At only 15 years of age, Payton has achieved a great deal in her blossoming career, but she’s not ready to rest on her laurels: “I know I have a lot to learn, and a lot of time to grow and mature as a singer, a songwriter, and an artist. I want to do whatever I can and take as much time as I need to achieve my dreams and make a career out of doing what I love.” She’s already planning her next CD project, which she hopes will feature more material she wrote herself, she has switched to homeschooling to accommodate her busy schedule on the road and in the studio, and is already taking some college courses to get a jump on her college education. The past few years have indeed been busy for Payton Taylor, but if the past is any indication of the future, there’s no telling what the next three years hold in store for this young talent.

When did you start singing?
I've honestly been singing for as long as I can remember. My first public performance was with my church choir at the age of six.

Was it your dream to be a singer?
Absolutely - When I was three, I knew every Britney Spears song, and I would put on shows in my house for my family. Shirley Temple was another idol.

Tell us about your style of singing?
I've had the benefit of performing different genres, from Showtunes, to Country, to Pop. I also have many different influences: Norah Jones, Bonnie Raitt, Leann Rimes, Karen Carpenter, Martina McBride, Alison Krauss (to name a few). I think all those influences comes together to form my style.

Are there challenges pursuing a singing career?
There's so many challenges, it's almost impossible to list them all, but I enjoy taking them on. Whenever I feel like I've hit a brick wall, I think about a quote by one of my favorite authors, Randy Pausch: "The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something."

Do your parents and friends support you?
My family is my biggest support team - they've given up so much to help me achieve my goals and dreams; I honestly couldn't do all this without them. I am truly blessed. And my firends couldn't be more supportive, from coming out to shows, to helping me promote my music, they're always there for me.

Do you write your own songs?
I do write my own songs. My writing partner is usually my manager, Joe Caliva, and I have been concentrating much more on my writing lately. On my last CD, I only got to include one song that I wrote myself  On the project I'm recording now, all the tracks will be music I've written with Joe.

If so, tell us what goes into writing a great song?
I think the best songs are the ones with a great melody or "hook", great lyrics, and has a story that connects with people. As far as the "process" of writing a great song, I think it's important for writers to write what they know and find their own voice; don't worry about what's popular or what sounds "radio ready".

Where was your first performance, were you excited?
My first performance as a country artist was at a local school carnival. I was supposed to be performing on an outdoor stage, but right before the band and I were supposed to start, one of the worst rainstorms that I ever saw hit the area.  But, they didn't cancel the show - we had a ton of people move everything into the gym and everyone stayed in there until the storm passed. The show went on and I had a captive audience, so everything worked out for the best.

Where have you been able to perform?
I've been so lucky, and have had the opportunity to perform at so many great venues. But, some of the most memorable have been CMA Fest in Nashville, Summerfest in Milwaukee, the Hard Rock Cafe in Chicago, the "Welcome America 4th of July Celebration" in Philadelphia, and the Chesapeake Inn in Maryland. There's a chance I'll be performing in Las Vegas this December, so that will definitely be exciting!

Who inspires you with your singing and songwriting?
I mentioned a few of my singing influences, but as far as songwriters, many of my influences tend to be Singer/Songwriters: Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, Miranda Lambert, Sarah Jarosz, Taylor Swift, Willie Nelson, and Kris Kristofferson.

If you could perform anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
I definitely want to perform all over the world. But my ultimate dream is to perform at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville someday. They refer to that theater as the "Mother Church" of country music, and you definitely feel as though you're in a hallowed place when you walk the halls there. As an artist, you know you have finally been accepted by your peers when you play the Opry.

Along the same line, who would you love to perform with?
I think I would be able to die happy if I got to perform a duet with Dolly Parton - she is my ultimate idol, as a songwriter, as a singer, as a business woman. It doesn't get any more country than Dolly.

What are some of your goals for your Music?
I want to make a career out of doing what I love - writing, performing, recording. Number one hits, touring, fame, and all that would be nice, but I'd consider myself successful if I get to wake up every morning and make music.

What do you hope to accomplish with your singing/songwriting?
I definitely want to give it my best shot to become a Singer/Songwriter, writing and performing my own songs. But, if that doesn't work out, I'd love to write for other artists, and maybe even produce recordings.

Do you have any advice for those wanting to start a career in singing and songwriting?
For anyone wanting to get into this crazy business, I always tell them they should work hard, surround themselves with an amazing support team, be prepared to make a lot of sacrifices, and network as often and with as many people as you can. Perform everywhere and anywhere you can, and get your music and your name out to as many people and in as many places as possible. I'd also say to be diligent, be honest, and be yourself.

Is there anything else you want our readers to know about you, your singing/songwriting?
If anyone would like to know any more about me or my music, the best place to go is my web site, www.paytontaylor.com. They can also check me out on facebook.com/paytoncountry,youtube.com/paytontaylortv, or twitter.com/paytontaylor129.

Payton is an amazing young talented Country Singer that has her career just starting. She has a lot of passionate in her singing. It's worth watching where Payton's career goes as she is really talented. We can't wait to see where Payton's career takes her.

Upcoming Appearances:

October 7th, 2012: Blackwood Pumpkin Festival at 11am in Blackwood, New Jersey.
October 13th, 2012: Carlisle Barracks OKTOBERFEST at 7pm in Carlisle, Pennsylvania.
October 18th, 2012: Commodore Grille at 8:30pm in Nashville, Tennessee.

You can find out more about Payton and upcoming appearances by going to www.paytontaylor.com. Below, enjoy a taste of Payton's singing through a few Youtube videos.




Rocky Coast News is pleased to have Payton Taylor as our latest "Musician Spotlight", where we highlight, promote up and coming musicians that have amazing vocals, sound, style and/or who are able to play an instrument well singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment